What you see here are old heating ducts, covered in asbestos that we found in the attic of a house we were inspecting. They had been disconnected by a tradesperson when he installed a new furnace. Asbestos has been found to be a potential cancer-causing agent and is regulated in its use by the federal government. Since it is considered a hazardous material, by law it has to be properly disposed of at a hazardous waste dump. To be left in the attic is a serious violation of these regulations and would need immediate abatement by a licensed asbestos removal company.